McCormick DeeringModel H Tractor

The Antique Warehouse McCormick Deering Model H Tractor in front of Rhomberg Farms in South St. Louis County.

 

     This is a 1942 McCormick Deering Farmall Model H tractor.  First introduced in 1939, this style tractor was produced until 1953 (sold throughout 1954).  The big feature on the Model H was the "adjustable rear wheel treads ranging from 44 to 80 inches.  Originally available with full steel wheels (like our unit), full rubber, or a split combination."  In 1940 a model H with full steel wheels would cost $765, however, all rubber tires would cost $962.

     Weighing in at about 5,550 lbs., the Model H produced 19.1 horsepower and pulled a maximum of 3,603 lbs.  The tractors came equipped with a five-speed manual transmission, which propelled the tractor to nearly 17 miles per hour in top gear.  The engine on the Model H was arranged inline and had four cylinders.  "The engine for the original version was started on gasoline and ran on distillate or kerosene (a gasoline-burning engine appeared in 1940)." 

     In total McCormick Deering, an International Harvester Company, produced 425,159 Model H tractors during its life cycle from 1939 to 1953.  Also available on the Model H line were the Model HV, and the Super H, each having slight variations.  The HV (released in 1942) with higher clearance for cane and high-bed vegetable cultivation and the Super (released in 1953) with more horsepower and standard features, such as lights and electric start.  Also available at the time was the O4 with lower clearance and a narrower body, shrouded in sheet metal for work in orchards and fruit groves.

     This McCormick-Deering Model H was purchased new by the Joseph Hagen Farm, in South St. Louis County.  Mr. Hagen farmed approximately 60 acres, located at present day Interstate 55 and Meramec Bottom Road.  His home once stood where the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store and Restaurant is today.  Hagen was a vegetable grower and transported his produce to the market.  He also grew some corn on his bottom ground where the Clara Heimos Sports Fields are located now.

     This tractor was acquired during World War II and rubber tires were not available, therefore it was delivered with full steel wheels.  The tractor's sharp steel pointed cleats were harmful to the then newly paved Meramec Bottom Road.

     Thatís when Joseph's brother, a blacksmith by trade, made a set of steel bands that could be bolted on, thus reducing the damage caused to the soft asphalt roadway.  However, the inconvenience of having to bolt on and remove these bands just to drive down to the field, made the tractor more work than it was worth.  And with Hagen's preference for his draft horses, he parked his Model H after just one season.  Which explains why there is very little visible wear on this tractor.

     Norman Heimos was the second owner of this like new tractor. He acquired it when he purchased the Hagen farm in the 1970's. Norman had no use for this fine tractor and it sat in one of his many barns until he gave it to his good friend and collector Greg Rhomberg in 1989.  A complete restoration was performed in 1996 by Mark Korves of Korves Oliver, LLC. Mark was assisted by Cal Weldele.  This was Cal's first volunteer project for the Antique Warehouse.  Cal confirmed that this H had little wear when exploring the internal components of the engine and transmission. Dick Valentine did all the paint and body work.

     Click here to read more about this tractor.

 

Klancher, Lee.  International Harvester.  Motorbooks International, 1996.

Leffingwell, Randy.  Classic Farm Tractors.  Motorbooks International, 1993.

Wendel, C.H.  150 Years of International Harvester.  Crestline Publishing, 1993.

Below are several images of the Model H, click on any of them for more images of the tractor and for more information

Click here to return Home