French Village Drive-In Sign

Two Piece Marquee

horizontal rule


aw item number:  2005.057
manufacturer:  C. Bendson Co. Decatur, ILL.
size:  21'L x 14'6" H x 1'

Click on thumbnail for more images

Click here to return Home

color:  White, Red, Yellow, Brown and Blue

acquisition date:  11/21/2005

status:  Collection

description:  Four components make up this enormous sign. Two top signs with an artist palette and brush with French Village Drive-In on top. The bottom section is the message board surrounded by a porcelain border and chasing incandescent light bulbs.

information:  The French Village Drive-In originally opened its gates for automobiles in 1942 as the East St. Louis Drive-In located at 8601 St. Clair Ave., East St. Louis, Illinois. The 600 car drive-in closed its gates in 1992 and was demolished in 2005.  Our recovery team salvaged this large neon sign from the French Village Drive-In.  This sign is currently in storage and waiting restoration.  Click here for more information on the recovery process.  This sign is also featured in Michael Kilfoy's St. Louis Seen and Unseen.

horizontal rule